Discussion: Introducing new operators for matrix computation

Huaiyu Zhu hzhu at localhost.localdomain
Thu Jul 13 17:46:56 EDT 2000

On 13 Jul 2000 07:38:21 +0100, Michael Hudson <mwh21 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>> 2. It is difficult to add .* and ./ as . is already a valid token.
>
>Irrespective of the rest of this post, this is not true.  "**" is a
>valid token depsite "*" being one, etc.

Oh, this is good news. I did not quite believe that either, but after being
told of this several times ...

Any way, if the dot can be used then we definitely would use it, which sort
of determines the choice to be matlab compatibility.  The only ambiguity
would be expressions like 3./a, which should be 3. / a, as long as we let
the parser bind dot closer to the left whenever possible.  Existing code
will not break since the new operator exists entirely within the area of
current "invalid syntax".

What is still left out is a\b, though.

Huaiyu