Python in game development?

Ronald Steedman steedman at quake.cs.fsu.edu
Mon Jul 24 23:47:50 EDT 2000

In comp.games.development.programming.misc Gerry Quinn <gerryq at indigo.ie> wrote:
:> A full compile of a complex software package can often take 30 seconds or
:> more. That can be frustrating when you're trying to find and remove bugs.
:> You try one thing, wait 30 seconds, try another thing, wait 30 seconds...

: If I were your boss I would make sure you had no access to an
: interpreter!  I would even slow down your compilation by giving you an
: older machine ;-)

: Changing things at random and hoping the problem goes away is not the
: way to fix bugs.

 Hehe. I'm thinking about two cases in particular.

 First is finding a bug such as a memory leak within a project. Inserting
 debugging statements incrementally to locate it is my usual approach.
 True, this should be avoided by careful modularization and testing.

 I know. "Testing is NOT an optional phase in development..."

 Second is fixing a minor graphical problem, such as some text or border
 that is a little too big or small. Hmm... border=200? Nope. Border=400?

  -- Ron Steedman