Downside to using Python in ASP/MS IIS server side?

gbreed at cix.compulink.co.uk gbreed at cix.compulink.co.uk
Fri Jul 14 12:16:31 EDT 2000

In article <3973b7ce.945183441 at news.online.no>, thomas at cintra.no (Thomas
Weholt) wrote:
> We`re trying to use Python as script-language instead of VBScript in a
> MS IIS/MS Site Server solution. We have to access a MS SQL 7.0
> database too. Does anybody have any experience in something like this?
> All we want is to get rid of VBScript. ( At least, for now ;->)
>
> Are there any obvios downsides to this? Will we get into trouble cuz
> Python cannot access the same stuff as VBScript etc. ??

The only downside is that the documentation is all geared for VBScript.
Now I've got session variables sorted out, there's nothing I can do in
VBScript that I can't do in Python.  There are lots of things I can do in
Python that I can't do in VBScript, like connect to an SMTP server, import
text from an HTTP request.  All the clever stuff in ASP comes from COM,
and it translates right across.  Occasionally you get tuples returned when
you don't expect them, but you'll get the hang of it.