Python luddites (was Re: Type inference now simplicity)

David root at 127.0.0.1
Thu Jul 27 15:35:46 EDT 2000

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:44:08 +1000, Steve Purcell
<stephen_purcell at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Shae Erisson wrote:
>> And I'm opposed to it because it seems like sugar to me. I've always
>> loved Python's simplicity, and I hope it stays that way.
>> Adding new operators and new syntax will make Python harder to read, and
>> harder to learn. I don't want that.
>
>Yay! Python luddites unite!

Hear, hear.

Hell, yeah, I'll use the new operators and syntax!  I freely admit it: I'm
lazy, I like shortcuts, I'll take the easy way out.

That doesn't mean I think it's a good idea for Python to offer them.

IMO, they're detrimental, and should not be offered.