ftp and lowercase?

Stein Surland ssurland at online.no
Sun Jul 30 06:47:20 EDT 2000

J P wrote:

> Have you tried sendcmd ("ls") ? I think that would work for you.
>
> "Stein Surland" <ssurland at online.no> wrote in message
> news:39832544.2E05FCFB at online.no...
> > I have made a small script using ftplib to retrieve a list from a ftp
> > directory. It worked OK using ftp.retrlines('LIST', lines.append).
> > However using it on another ftp host gives me this message:
> >
> >     ftp.retrlines('ls', lines.append)
> >   File "/usr/lib/python1.5/ftplib.py", line 345, in retrlines
> >     conn = self.transfercmd(cmd)
> >   File "/usr/lib/python1.5/ftplib.py", line 285, in transfercmd
> >     return self.ntransfercmd(cmd)[0]
> >   File "/usr/lib/python1.5/ftplib.py", line 273, in ntransfercmd
> >     resp = self.sendcmd(cmd)
> >   File "/usr/lib/python1.5/ftplib.py", line 228, in sendcmd
> >     return self.getresp()
> >   File "/usr/lib/python1.5/ftplib.py", line 201, in getresp
> >     raise error_perm, resp
> > ftplib.error_perm: 500 'LS': command not understood.
> >
> > The host did not take the LIST command so I changed it to LS and ls. It
> > seems that the ftplib sends the list command in uppercase. How to change
> > this to lowercase? I have ftp'ed to the host and it does not recognize
> > LIST or LS only ls.

Sorry, my mistake! My line in the ftp script:

	ftp.retrlines('LIST ', lines.append)

has a space after the LIST command. It worked well on one host, but not
on another. By closing it:

	ftp.retrlines('LIST', lines.append)

it works OK. I was a bit flabbergasted by the 'command not understood'
error...

Stein

--

Stein Surland			  Trying is the first step towards failure
ssurland at online.no			- Homer Simpson