Does Python code >.require<< a run-time environment?? (New to Python)

Dave Williams xiarcexml at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 17 14:17:43 EDT 2000

I suppose... I have always had the kits and the java files installed
on my computer... and when I started my major project (version 1.0)
completed with Java, I was doing so because I had Macs and IBMS and
Unix's, Linux's as potential clients.  I was going for Java because
of its touted 'platform independence'.
    I love Java... BUT.. it is not as independent as Sun would have
wanted it...

Ironically, now, I have only Windows users... but the language I
chose to 'learn' was Java for it, and it is written in Java...

Currently, they DL the files and install them into wherever their
classes run, and type in the RUN box C:\WINDOWS\Jview CyberGameTable

(yes, I, <gasp>, have users using Jview, as it is installed, and
convincing them do DL Sun's package did not work)

I was hoping that Python (and it does seem to be really neat on the
programming end) would provide me with the ability to create an
executable that one would Download and run without having to (1) set
classpath (2) run-line command it.. etc...  ((I had been hoping for
it in Java, too... chock it up to beginners' stupidity--one year
later I am a little wiser))

I've read references to 'compiling it to C'... is this a laborious
process requiring knowledge of C or C++?

~Dave