Problems installing PIL on linux

Steve Purcell stephen_purcell at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 26 18:29:33 EDT 2000

Paul Winkler wrote:

> I'm trying to install PIL on a RedHat 6.1 system.
>
> I've downloaded the Imaging-1.1.tar.gz from the PIL website.
> Following the instructions in the README, I get as far as step 8,
> the actual build. It looks like step 7 (make -f Makefile.pre.in
> boot) is finishing OK, but the created makefile does not work. I get
> this:
>
> # make
> make: *** No rule to make target
> `/usr/lib/python at VERSION@/config/Makefile', needed by `sedscript'.
> Stop.

My advice is to get the RPM for 1.0b1 unless there's a particular need for
fixes or features that can only be found in 1.1. Works fine for me.

It's a shame that there seems to be no RPM available for 1.1. (I'm just one
of those lazy people who more or less refuses to install anything that
doesn't come in an RPM; I tire easily of tracking down make problems.)

-Steve

--
Steve Purcell,  Technical Director, Inkontact
Get in touch at http://www.inkontact.com/