POOP / Python (Object Oriented Persistence) ?

Jim Fulton jim at digicool.com
Tue Jul 11 17:53:31 EDT 2000

Martijn Faassen wrote:

(snip)
> > One of the interests of the people in Glasgow is how one copes with data
> > that may be distributed over many computers. This includes issues such as
> > how do you fallback to another copy of the data, how do you decide
> > whether/when to cache locally, and if so when to update, etc.
>
> Zope's ZEO is going into this area. I haven't looked at it myself, but
> basically you can cluster several copies of the ZODB together. In the
> case of ZEO there's the case of a single point of failure (the central
> front-end machine), however. But ZEO is definitely very cool. Not a lot
> of code either from what I've seen.

We've recently worked out (with help from Dr. Sushil Jajodia of
George Mason U.) a protocol for replicating ZEO storage servers.
This uses a quorum-based algorithm. Basically, you have multiple
replicated storage servers and the system is available as long as
more than half of them can communicate. It's pretty cool.
See http://www.zope.org/Wikis/ZEO/QuorumBasedReplication
for gory details. :)

Jim

--