Anyone used Python for GPIB instrument control?

Robert Kern kern at caltech.edu
Sat Jul 8 23:26:20 EDT 2000

europax at home.com wrote:

> I think I am going to get a C compiler for work where we use NT.  At
> home here I use Linux and don't want to eat up my hard drive with
> Windoze stuff (I have Windows 3.1, though since it is so small)
>
> I saw that Borland is selling a CD with Turbo C, Turbo C++,etc for about
> $60.  Thats a pretty good deal.  I also found some free WIN32
> compilers.  One based on the GNU gcc and it has an IDE called Rhine.

To toot my own horn a little, you can use gcc (for the mingw target) to
compile Python extensions that are binary-compatible with the released
Python executable.

See http://starship.python.net/crew/kernr

If you can spare the disk space, I recommend installing Cygwin
( http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin ) to give you a UNIX-ish
environment, and then install the mingw compiler.  If you're into
IDEs, there is a listing available at http://www.mingw.org/mingwfaq.shtml

Happy hunting.

> Rob.

[snip]