Matlab vs Python (was RE: Discussion: Introducing new operators f

paul at prescod.net.bbs paul at prescod.net.bbs
Mon Jul 17 19:10:03 EDT 2000

Charles Boncelet wrote:

> Why is it ordained that objects should have only two operations, "*" and
> "+",
> defined with simple operators?   "+" on strings means something entirely
>
> different than "+" on numbers.  Why not add an "@" operator?

Because 90% of Python programmers would not know what it means.

Look, if you took a poll of all programmers in the world, only a small
fraction use matrices very often. Therefore it is a niche. Most
programmers use numbers and strings every day, however.

Still, we all want you to succeed. We just disagree on the right
approach. Here's my suggestion:

> Python could become the primary open source alternative to Matlab in
> time
> if a few changes were made: Incorporate numpy into the core distribution
> (or
> release a  distribution with it already embedded),

The process of creating a numpy enabled distribution is underway.

> improve the help facility at the interpreter.

A module for that is under development.

> simplify the syntax for matrix operations

You (matrix people) can do that by parsing your own Python-like syntax
and generating Python byte codes or Python source code. You don't need
any official blessing from Guido or anyone else. Several people have
written compilers for languages like Python IN Python and in other
languages. It is possible. There are even techniques for making your
language work on the interpreter line. We can help with that.

It's difficult to extract sense from strings, but they're the only
communication coin we can count on.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html