COM registration

mnjeunn mnjeunn at sandia.gov
Mon Jul 10 14:30:28 EDT 2000

I am trying to arrange communication between a piece of Visual C++ code
and a python program on two different Win95 computers.  In its simplest
form, my task is to have the Visual C++ code call a function from the
python code across the network, and then work with the string that the
python function returns.

I've managed to get Python to register a COM object on the server
computer, but running the same code on the client machine gets no
results.  In both cases I have a script to run
win32com.server.register.UseCommandLine(ClassName).  After running the
script, I open the dcomcnfg utility to verify that the object is
registered...on the server computer (windows 95 version 4.00.950 B,
dcom95) it comes up fine, but on the client machine (same windows
version, but with IE 4.04.72.3110.8 and dcom98) the file I need doesn't
show up under available applications in the dcomcnfg window.  Is there
another method for registering a python COM object on the client
computer?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mark