Advice sought: text-mode (but not CLI) apps in Windows console ?

Radovan Garabik garabik at center.fmph.uniba.sk.spam
Thu Jul 20 11:26:54 EDT 2000

Fred Pacquier <fredp at mygale.org.nospam> wrote:

 : Hi,

 : The other day I had an idea for something I wanted to do in Python. It is
 : to be run under Windows (9x), but for various reasons I did not want to do
 : a full Windows GUI (like with Tk or wxPython). I did not have a pure CLI
 : app in mind either, but wanted to provide some sort of simple character-
 : mode interface to the user, in a Windows console (DOS box).

 : Since then I have been through what I believe to be a reasonably thorough
 : Web search (from Parnassus outwards) to find something to get me started,
 : and have turned up precious little. Various Python bindings of curses or
 : ncurses exist, but can one run curses itself under Win 9x ? Or are there

http://www.mikroplan.com.pl/~mak/python/files/pdcurses.zip

 : other, well-hidden libraries or modules that do more or less the same thing
 : on that platform ? (I'm not asking for something as high-level and
 : extensive as the Borland OWL of old :-)