Creating a setuid script

Alex cut_me_out at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 21 15:47:06 EDT 2000

> I am busy writing some scripts, which should be setuid root

When I needed to do this, someone told me that scripts don't run setuid,
as a security feature.  The problem is, you can really mess a things up
by passing it corrupted environment variables.  So you have to have a C
wrapper program, protects the script by passing it sanitized environment
variables.  There is one distributed with the python source.  You can
get it here:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/python/dist/
src/Misc/setuid-prog.c?rev=1.5&content-type=text/
x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=python

(Sorry, you'll have to join the three lines together.)

Alex.