Python in game development?

Amit Patel amitp at Xenon.Stanford.EDU
Thu Jul 27 18:34:22 EDT 2000

 Magnus Lie Hetland <mlh at idi.ntnu.no> wrote:

| > Be sure to check out stackless Python, which has some advantages for
| > game scripting:
| >
| > http://www.stackless.com/
|
| What exactly *are* these advantages? (Very curious...)

One thing that may be possible is if the "stack" frames are
pickle-able, persistence in your game could include not only what your
objects are, but what they are *doing*, e.g., the Town Crier could be
in the middle of running line 34 of cry_wolf(), and you could save
that stack frame, as well as the stack frames of the callers.  That
way you could restore the game, and all the threads would pick up
right where they were!  Persistence is the main reason I got
interested in stackless in general (nor specifically Python
stackless).

    - Amit

Amit J Patel, Computer Science Department, Stanford University
http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/