Discussion: new math operators

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Sat Jul 22 01:02:27 EDT 2000

Bjorn Pettersen wrote:

> I have seen no agreement on this, and I can only assume that if they're
> made available new and "useful" meanings would be found for all of
> lists, tuples, and dictionaries.  This has certainly been the case in
> other languages.

I don't think that will happen in Python. The goal is not to extend
"typical Python" but to make it Matrix-friendly. If you start doing .+
and .* in Python code, Python would become very hard to read and not
only when you were using matrices, but always.

> ps: did you read the APL/J pages?

I don't know if it is really useful to skim another languages' design.
Language issues are often deep and a surface examination may not turn up
the reasons that choices were made.

New from Computer Associates: "Software that can 'think', sold by
marketers who choose not to."