Perl is worse! (was: Python is Wierd!)

Grant Edwards nobody at nowhere.nohow
Sun Jul 30 22:04:52 EDT 2000

In article <39848FFE.948BF635 at san.rr.com>, Courageous wrote:

>> I'm sorry, but I have no idea if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me.
>> Are you claiming that in real life the operations you can perform on/with a
>> physical object are not determined by the type of the object?
>
>Not at all. I'm claiming that using real life operations was itself a
>framing of the problem which isn't at all correct.

Why not?

>I'd argue that referring to a python variable as an arbitrary label to any
>object is something which is quite intuitive to the novice programmer.

OK.

>These same novices will also intuitively understand that, in the situation
>where the label is currently labelling an object of a particular type,
>certain operations are inappropriate for that object. Which is exactly how
>python behaves.

I was pointing out that that is also how real-life physical objects behave,
and you said (I thought) that "while I can't prove it, I do believe it's
wrong." What is it you believe is wrong?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  ... I don't like
                                  at               FRANK SINATRA or his