Python bug reporting [was: Re: readline.c & more]

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Jul 7 08:20:52 EDT 2000

[Jeremy Hylton]

> I agree that the system [of necessarily using the Web to report Python
> bugs, instead of the usual Python bug reporting email address] isn't
> great, but at least it provides us with a mechanism to track patches and
> assign responsibility for them.  The old email approach didn't have either
> feature, which made it much harder for the people catching the patches.

There are plenty of users, and a much smaller bunch of maintainers.
It seems more fit to me to adapt to the plenty of users, than force all of
them into the methods of a few.  This is not far from haughty maintenance.
Besides, if the new mechanics and bug tracking systems did not even care to
provide some interface or tools, so maintainers can receive and sort email
into it, then that system is also haughty and aggressive at imposing itself.

Do not misread me, I'm a maintainer myself.  But I do care for my users,
I do not make things hard for them to communicate with me, and never will.
My little own anal methods with reports, I do not _impose_ them around.

> You might suggestion an email interface in the SourceForge feature
> request forum:  https://sourceforge.net/forum/?group_id=1

Are you serious?  You would force me to use a Web forum to discuss that
Web is inappropriate?  This isn't real, I am dreaming. :-(

Please consider Web as a possible service, not as an inescapable religion.
email is still ubiquitous, and very usable.  If your bug tracking system
cannot help you handling email, this should be the problem of those having
written or selected it, not mine, and surely not mine to correct.

P.S. - I nearly missed your message, it had no quote, and the subject
was improper.  Web abuse destroys one's elementary communication skills :-).