python compiler?

Shae Erisson shapr at uab.edu
Wed Jul 26 16:45:44 EDT 2000

Jamie Allison wrote:

> Does anybody know of a compiler for pyhton?

Jeremy Hylton has a source to bytecode compiler written in Python.
it's in the python/nondist/Compiler/ part of the CVS tree.

Greg Stein and Bill Tutt wrote a Python2C translator, which cuts at
least 10percent off of running time from what I've read. The C file
that's written is a Python module, and so won't let you make a pure
executable though.
It's at http://lima.mudlib.org/~rassilon/py2c/ (or was last I checked)

A python compiler is definitely possible, especially once you've checked
out the two projects mentioned above. I don't know how much it's needed
though.
--
Shae Matijs Erisson - http://www.webwitches.com/~shae/
VirtualPairProgramming Wanted - Linux/Emacs/Python/Speak Freely