Perl is worse!

Grant Edwards nobody at nowhere.nohow
Fri Jul 28 21:06:16 EDT 2000

In article <slrn8o3d35.49c.grey at teleute.rpglink.com>, Steve Lamb wrote:
>On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 15:34:27 GMT, Grant Edwards <ge at nowhere.none> wrote:
>>I'm not ignoring that case.  I'm stating that I want to do the conversions
>>explicitly rather than implicitly.  Why do you find it so difficult to
>>believe that "I want X" when I tell you "I want X"?  I'm _not_ trying to tell
>>you that "you want X" or "you should use X".  I am trying to tell you that "I
>>use X" because "I want X".
>
>    Fair enough.  So why can't we have both?  Why can't we have variables
>which are mutable and those that aren't?

We could have both. But now the language is more complex, and it's harder to
tell what a chunk of code does unless you have more context information
available.  One of the goals of Python appears (to me) to be to make the
language simple enough that you don't need much context to figure out what a
piece of code does.  One of the problems with complex languages such as C++
is that it's so hard for th reader to determine what a piece of code is
going to do without either just tring it or having a whole bunch of context
information.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I love FRUIT
                                  at               PICKERS!!