Toplevel "test()" functions in standard library

Rob W. W. Hooft rob at hooft.net
Wed Jul 19 06:08:51 EDT 2000

 PS> I cannot comment on the reason for this idiom, but for your name
 PS> space pollution using "from ... import *": Don't use it.

I don't. But some still do.

 PS> <rant>Even in the short time I have been on the list I have seen
 PS> examples of nearly untrackable bugs because of name space
 PS> collisions when using "from ... import *".</rant>

I am all in favor of solving this kind of problems 2 ways:
 - Discourage use of from ... import * even more than now
 - Make use that there is as little pollution as possible

 PS> I don't even use "from Tkinter import *" in GUI apps.

Same here. I don't even rename it. The repeated Tkinter.TOP and
Tkinter.YES are a bit annoying, but it makes the code quite clear.

Rob

--
=====   rob at hooft.net          http://www.hooft.net/people/rob/  =====
=====   R&D, Nonius BV, Delft  http://www.nonius.nl/             =====