Perl is worse!

Steve Lamb grey at despair.rpglink.com
Sat Jul 29 18:01:18 EDT 2000

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:02:31 GMT, Ben Wolfson <rumjuggler at cryptarchy.org> wrote:
>Hmmm... An example of why I think I would prefer format strings over
>in-place variables is that format strings seem more powerful to me.

    Why is there a difference?

"Some string with a $formatstring in it",$foo

"Some string with a $foo:$formatstring in it."

"Some string with a $$foo:$formatstring in it."

    Last example both the variable and the format string are changable.  Toss
it outside the block...

"Some string with a ",$$foo:len($$foo)-2:0," in it."

    The effect is exactly the same, you just do have the programming langauge
trying to emulate German in the process.