Perl is worse!

gbp gpepice1 at nycap.rr.com
Fri Jul 28 22:33:10 EDT 2000

> Hmm. You seem to expect that strings and other
> things will be automatically coerced to integers whenever a function
> expects an integer. I think that's pretty scary; when I pass in the wrong
> thing to a function I *want* it to complain, as it's very likely I did it
> by accident. I don't want things to work by accident. Perhaps you're
> missing that this 'problem' is also a 'feature'; you get less 'weird'
> bugs due to the fact that your program keeps running long after your
> data got coerce-mangled to death. Python would tend to throw exceptions
> as soon as it went wrong.

I think it depends what you are doing with your program.  I use Perl (and now
Python) to parse text files before putting the info in or sending it out of a
databse.  This is by no means bug free software (deadlines just don't permit enough
testing).  If someone sticks a letter in my input file where a number should go I
would rather my script deal with it than crash.  After all its not _my_ fault theres
a letter there.  However, managment will blame me for a 'bug' if the program throws
an exception when someone else runs it.