os.system

pehr anderson pehr at pehr.net
Thu Jul 6 22:14:44 EDT 2000

Dear Matthias,

In general, calling os.system causes the system to start a shell
which then processes the command string.
On linux this takes no time at all.  On windows I can see that
they may not have optmized the shell, especially since the shell
under window has so many glaring deficiencies.

All I can offer is an explanation, not a speedup.
Perhaps you could find a way to talk to a browser that
may already be started?

I'd recommend browsing "Python for Win32" if you are serious
about surviving under windows.

	-pehr