AIX installation can't find zlib

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Fri Jul 28 12:55:15 EDT 2000

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 07:59:50AM -0500, Larry Whitley wrote:
> I've just installed the 1.5.2 source distribution on an AIX system and when
> I say "import zlib" it responds:

> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: No module named zlib
> >>>

> I'm not sure where zlib is supposed to be.  It's not in the Lib subdirectory
> of Python-1.5.2.  In the Modules subdirectory I find zlibmodule.c.  Nothing
> germaine in the Objects subdirectory.  Looked at config.log and
> config.status, no mention of zlib.

Did you edit Modules/Setup to include zlib ? You should uncomment the zlib
line, it's not enabled by default. Afterwards, you should find it in
/usr/local/python1.5/lib-dynaload, or built-in into the interpreter (if you
didn't uncomment the line going '#*shared*'.)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>