Python-dev summary: July 1-15

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Tue Jul 18 17:51:56 EDT 2000

Andrew Kuchling <akuchlin at cnri.reston.va.us> writes:

> This is a first experiment in whether I can make a useful,
> interesting, somewhat coherent summary of python-dev activity.
> If reaction is favorable, and time permits, it may become a biweekly
> posting.

This seems quite useful - is there any "proper" way to send feedback
on mail on python-dev without actually being on the list?

In particular:

>   * /F was his usual "patching machine" self, integrating PythonWin's
>   win32popen function so that os.popen will now work correctly on
>   Windows as well as Unix, (...)

Does anyone know if this mean that the existing 1.5.2 behavior of
os.popen under NT (with a console) breaks with respect to the result
code of the process being returned on the close() operation?  I know
that NT with a console was really the only case where the native
popen() functioned properly, but it did function just fine, and I have
a lot of code that depends on child process exit codes, so I'm sure
that someone else out there probably does as well.

I think I saw a discussion of an earlier patch by Fredrik that just
took care of the stdin/stdout/stderr file handles for the NT problem
without a console, but grabbing the latest CVS copy seems to have
pulled in all the stuff from the PythonWin extensions.  They're much
better on most Windows platforms, but losing the exit code of the
child process makes the popen() family much less useful in many cases
and I think it's an important aspect to preserve whereever possible.

My code peek was only a quick glance, so if this issue has been
handled in the integration of the code into the Python core, then
that's great.

Thanks.

--
-- David