Python luddites (was Re: Type inference now simplicity)

Bernhard Herzog herzog at online.de
Fri Jul 28 12:52:18 EDT 2000

root at 127.0.0.1 (David) writes:

> On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:44:08 +1000, Steve Purcell
> <stephen_purcell at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Shae Erisson wrote:
> >> And I'm opposed to it because it seems like sugar to me. I've always
> >> loved Python's simplicity, and I hope it stays that way.
> >> Adding new operators and new syntax will make Python harder to read, and
> >> harder to learn. I don't want that.
> >
> >Yay! Python luddites unite!
>
> Hear, hear.
>
> Hell, yeah, I'll use the new operators and syntax!  I freely admit it: I'm
> lazy, I like shortcuts, I'll take the easy way out.
>
> That doesn't mean I think it's a good idea for Python to offer them.
>
> IMO, they're detrimental, and should not be offered.

I think we can reconcile both viewpoints, namely "new operators violate
python philosophy" vs. "new operators are useful", by introducing just
one new operator. This new operator guesses what the progammer wanted
and is used like this:

	A ;;>> B

This new operator is pronounced "wink-wink-nudge-nudge" or
"do-whaddaye-mean-do-whaddaye-mean" (although this might be a tad too
Perlish).

For extra expressiveness we could also through in :-|:-| a.k.a.
"say-no-more-say-no-more".

--
Bernhard Herzog   | Sketch, a drawing program for Unix
herzog at online.de  | http://sketch.sourceforge.net/