POOP / Python (Object Oriented Persistence) ?

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony at lsl.co.uk
Mon Jul 10 07:29:37 EDT 2000

Martijn Faassen explained that Zope does indeed do most of the things I'd
mentioned, and then:
> > persistence over LARGE networks, etc.
>
> What would this mean?

One of the interests of the people in Glasgow is how one copes with data
that may be distributed over many computers. This includes issues such as
how do you fallback to another copy of the data, how do you decide
whether/when to cache locally, and if so when to update, etc. Since they
also store the program code in the store, this also means sharing software
over the network as well. In todays emphasis on shared services over the
net, a lot of this begins to sound remarkably prescient.

It's often regarded as one of those "we'll worry about that later" problems,
since people expect to be working on a local store, but thinking about it
earlier can have interesting insights into what one should be *doing*
locally (and as soon as one has two users on two systems sharing stuff, the
slippery slope has started). But it did seem to be a *difficult* problem,
conceptually as well as practically.

But I *know* I don't understand the field, so I'll shut up straight away
about it...

> Do you still think what the ZODB does is much
> different from what you're describing?

Erm, no, it sounds like I need to find some excuse to find out more about
Zope, instead! (damn, another worthwhile thing to learn about).

Tibs

--
Tony J Ibbs (Tibs)      http://www.tibsnjoan.demon.co.uk/
Feet first with 5 wheels...