The State of Python

richard_chamberlain at my-deja.com richard_chamberlain at my-deja.com
Thu Jul 27 05:15:27 EDT 2000

A question out of curiosity.

If someone had made a contribution to the standard library and had
written a certain licensing agreement as a comment in the file would
that module still be covered by the BeOPEN or CNRI agreement? - or
would it's own license still stand?

Richard

In article <200007270038.TAA03951 at cj20424-a.reston1.va.home.com>,
  Guido van Rossum <guido at beopen.com> wrote:
> I've placed the slides of my talk at the O'Reilly Open Source
> Convention on-line at our BeOpen PythonLabs website:
>
>     http://www.pythonlabs.com/talks.html
>
> We're also very close to announcing news regarding a new Python
> license, Python 1.6 and 2.0 release schedules, and a transition of the
> python.org website to hosting by VA Linux.
>
> The announcement is waiting for final negotiations about GPL
> compatibility of the new license; BeOpen's CTO, Bob Weiner, is
> confident that the issue will be resolved one way or another by
> Friday.
>
> A preview of what we will announce:
>
>   - A new license for Python 1.6 and later: the "CNRI Open Source
>   License", approved by the Open Source Initiative;
>
>   - Release plans for Python 1.6: the last CNRI release, to be issued
>   with help from BeOpen;
>
>   - Release plans for Python 2.0: the first release to be issued by
>   BeOpen;
>
>   - A transition for the python.org website: it will be hosted by VA
>   Linux (home of SourceForge), under supervision of the Python
>   Consortium and myself, maintained by the Python community.
>
> Please hold your breath a little longer!
>
> A re-release of JPython using the CNRI Open Source License is possible
> a little later, pending further negotiations with CNRI.
>
> --Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.pythonlabs.com/~guido/)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.