Perl is worse! (was: Python is Wierd!)

Gregory Lielens gregory.lielens at fft.be
Fri Jul 28 12:09:24 EDT 2000

Steve Lamb wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:14:31 GMT, Ben Wolfson <rumjuggler at cryptarchy.org>
> wrote:
> >If I type 1, I think "integer".  Sorry.  This is true outside the realm of
> >programming.  If I'm talking to someone online and I want to express the
> >idea of a string containing the character '1', I will write "1" or '1'.
>
>     Is it?  How many non-programmers would do that?  You do it only because
> you are a programmer who is used to catagorizing data into different types.

Checking your other posts, it seems to me that the reasopn you are able
to think about data (in particular numerical data) without caring about
its type is that you always link the data to a text representation
mentally...

And from your example, it is quite clear that Perl (I never used it, so
I guess here...) also make this link quite strongly...still
guessing...maybe because now or in a previous implementation, numbers
are/were actually stored as string internally?

The fact that perl make this binding is a clear advantage for you, as
you are already doit it mentally...
Python does not make this link, hence this thread. And I think that
Python will appeal more for people that do not make this link
automatically (count me in - and better twice than once...).

Whether or not non-programmer makes this link (text
representation/numeric value), I do not know in general,  but I think I
could reasonable assume than people with mathematical background will
not do it, and thus find Python more suitable to their way of thinking
than perl...

Just my "2" cents,

Greg.