Python-dev summary: July 1-15

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Wed Jul 19 15:55:00 EDT 2000

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 05:46:21PM +0000, Frédéric van der Plancke wrote:
> In article <3974E8CD.55215FD9 at inrialpes.fr>,
>   Vladimir.Marangozov at inrialpes.fr wrote:

> Sorry I'm dense, but where can I find that ? Where can I find PEP
> documents ?

In the CVS tree. Barry's mail on PEPs describes that, I think. They're in
the 'nondist' directory. You can also browse the CVS tree using cvsweb, at
SourceForge. See http://sourceforge.net/projects/python

> It's bad it's so hard, hard, hard to find current information about
> Python on the web starting from would-be obvious points.
> (Exercise: starting from www.python.org/, find anything "mainstream"
> about Python 2, or "Python-dev" ... :-( )
> (By "mainstream" I mean something like "What's new in Python 2.0" -
> yes I eventally was lucky enough to get a hand on that one -- or
> "table of PEP documents/proposals/..." -- these items are still
> wanted, if they exist.)

Agreed. A lot of that stuff needs to be updated and/or made more accessible.
However, the last few months have been very hectic for the guys at
pythonlabs.com, between leaving CNRI (for four of them), moving to another
state (for a few of them, I believe), starting a new dept. of BeOpen, trying
to get 2.0 out of the door on a very ambitious release schedule and hitting
a huge brick wall so hard they left bloodsplatters all over it, magically
forming the letters 'C', 'N', 'R' and 'I'.(*)

> Web links on the www.python.org main page (or equivalent)
> would be fine.

Well, there's a problem with that: python.org is maintained by CNRI, and
there are some 'issues' between BeOpen and CNRI. I'm sure that when the
PythonLabs guys get some time, and the status of python.org gets a bit
clearer, they'll either move it to BeOpen or start a similar website on
Python 2.0 somewhere. Like sourceforge.

(* That might be a bit unfair to CNRI. They did home Python for a good
number of years, so they can't be all bad ;) I'm just confused by the
current 'issues', and know about as much as the rest of you: nearly naught.)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>