Content of the Perl6 talk

Guido van Rossum guido at beopen.com
Mon Jul 31 11:42:56 EDT 2000

Moshe Zadka <moshez at math.huji.ac.il> writes:

> On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
>
> > Probably much more useful, if possible, would be to modularize some
> > key functionality that the languages have in common.  The only example
> > I can think of off hand would be a regexp engine.  It's kind of silly
> > that all three languages would support the same syntax and largely the
> > same features and functionality with entirely different code bases.
>
> Sadly, even that's not really true. You can ask Andrew about the wonderful
> fun he had trying to pry Perl's regexp engine from the clutch of
> interdependancies. Perl's regexps are part of the language, and the
> language is part of them (e.g., /e).

But that applies to the current (Perl 5.x) codebase.  For Perl 6 they
are going to rewrite everything from scratch as far as I understand,
so there should be some hope.  Heck, maybe Effbot can offer SRE as a
starting point!  Most of his code doesn't deal with Python objects at
all, just arrays of chars and shorts.

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.pythonlabs.com/~guido/)