Perl is worse! (was: Python is Wierd!)

Ben Wolfson rumjuggler at cryptarchy.org
Fri Jul 28 23:35:05 EDT 2000

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 22:04:37 GMT, grey at despair.rpglink.com (Steve Lamb)
wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 11:55:51 -0700, Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote:
>>Steve Lamb wrote:
>>
>>>     As a human, type 1.  Character?  String?  Integer?  Floating
>>> number?  No,
>>> it is 1 and it can be all of those all on context.
>
>>In Python, and most programming languages that have some notion of type,
>>it is an integer.  If you wanted a string, then you'd have typed '1', or
>>converted it to a string with `1` or repr(1) or str(1).
>
>    Most, not all.  Again, I ask, as a /human/.  Not as a computer,
>calculator, dog, fish, pet rock, face on mars, some gas creature in
>delta-theta 3 (word up, gass monster) or almond, is 1 a character a string an
>integer a floating point number or what?  If you have problems ask about 2
>dozen people off the street what 1 is with that question and see how many
>puzzled looks you get.

If you write the numeral one on a board and ask 2 dozen people off the
street what it is, how many of them will say it's a sequence?

Seeing what the quote in my .sig is, I'd like to emphasize that it was
chosen randomly.

--
Barnabas T. Rumjuggler

Is this going to be another episode where you have to be sodomized with the
Clue Branch before you shut up and admit you're wrong?
 -- John S. Novak III, the Humblest Man on the Net.