GPL Compatability (was Re: The State of Python)

Moshe Zadka moshez at math.huji.ac.il
Sat Jul 29 02:16:10 EDT 2000

On 28 Jul 2000, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Moshe Zadka <moshez at math.huji.ac.il> wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Paul Duffin wrote:
>
> >> What does GPL compatible mean ?
>
> > It means that it can be relicenced as GPL.
>
> Are you sure? I thought it meant you could legally link it to
> GPL-ed software. That's what the whole Qt/KDE squabble is about, at least.

Martijn, you keep forgetting I'm a mathematician -- we're almost as bad as
lawyers. I *did* not say that for any licence X, Y is X compatible is Y
can be relicenced as X. However, because of the viral nature of the GPL,
what you said and what I said is equivalent.
--
Moshe Zadka <moshez at math.huji.ac.il>
There is no IGLU cabal.