Splitting c.l.py...

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Fri Jul 7 18:20:24 EDT 2000

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 06:24:44PM +0000, Aahz Maruch wrote:
> In article <20000707140442.B4771 at kronos.cnri.reston.va.us>,
> Andrew Kuchling  <akuchlin at mems-exchange.org> wrote:

[ gateway python-dev to a moderated newsgroup ]

> >Would that be possible?  Is there a Usenet precedent for this sort of
> >setup?

> It's certainly possible.  I'm not sure whether there's precedent for
> this specific setup.  I can probably say that there'd be a fair amount
> of pushback from news.groupies, including me, unless you can clearly
> articulate why such a newsgroup would be useful.

> Note that it should be simple to set up public read-only subscriptions
> to python-dev; if it isn't simple, that's a bug in Mailman.  ;-)

Actually, I thought a little about this last week. I got tired of reading
python-dev through the archive, and then the archive went *kaboom* :-)
However, giving read-only subscriptions to python-dev is a very silly thing:
python-dev is currently *write* only. There is no real limitation on who can
post. So it's either a choice of making it read-only (aka moderated) with
the current subscription list as allowable posters, or making it a
completely open list, where people 'promise' not to 'interfere'. I hope we
can all agree #2 will not work ;) and I'm not sure about #1.

I'm not for or against any list-setup, and I'm not elite enough to be able
to give my vote on any of it anyway ;) but I'm just pointing out why it's
the way it is and not the way most people would want it ;)

And-if-Mailman-doesn't-have-it-it-will-tomorrow-ly y'rs,

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>