Matlab vs Python (was RE: Discussion: Introducing new operators for matrix computation)

Neil Hodgson neilh at scintilla.org
Tue Jul 18 10:02:57 EDT 2000

John Lull wrote

> By that reasoning, cryptography ought not be part of the standard
> distribution, either.  Nor should complex numbers.

   I'm all for that one. Lets remove complex numbers. With creaping
featurism, each new feature makes someone very happy. The small amount of
added pain to the majority isn't noticeable until the layers of crud have
become deep enough to start paralysing development. Its /so/ hard to remove
something once its in and backwards compatibility becomes an implied but
unbreakable contract.

   I don't care so much about cryptography as its just another library with
no syntactic overhead but removing complex numbers would decrease Python's
complexity ;)

   Neil