Open letter to Guido van Rossum

ajsiegel at my-deja.com ajsiegel at my-deja.com
Mon Jul 24 13:14:43 EDT 2000

In article <8lhmgd$p92$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
  jerry_spicklemire at my-deja.com wrote:

> This suggestion makes perfect sense, in cases where Python has
> already been adopted by the substantial, for profit shop in question.
> One could then assume that Python is recognized for it's merits, and
> that the "customer" realizes that, as with any Open Source tools, it
> is easy and effective to contribute by scratching your own itch, and
> returning the resulting solution to the community.

But I wasn't necessarily suggesting that there would be a contribution
back to the community. There would be a proprietary solution - and
perhaps a competitive advantage achieved. The contribution back to
the community would be a separate business decision.

Certainly this makes particular sense to me when me are talking about
functionality against a commercial database.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.