Making tabs illegal

Forrest Cahoon fcahoon at my-deja.com
Mon Jul 10 09:41:46 EDT 2000

In article <20000708005527.L26534 at xs4all.nl>,
  Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net> wrote:
> [ ... ]
> Guido's time machine strikes again ! I'm not sure how far back he went
this
> time, but certainly well before I did anything with Python ;) There's
the
> -t flag which does exactly what you want: '-t' warns when tabs and
spaces
> are mixed in a dangerous way. '-tt' emits a compile-time exception.
> [ ... ]

I have heard of the -tt flag, but I don't think that's exactly what I'm
looking for.  I'd like to enforce spaces and disallow tabs altogether.
(What does "mixed in a dangerous way" mean, anyway?)

I'm not suggesting that python the language be changed this way -- I
would, but I don't think my suggestion would get very far -- what I *am*
suggesting is that I should be able to compile a version of the python
interpreter that only allows spaces.

The issue is being able to enforce a particular coding style in a
development environment.  For that reason, it's better to have it
compiled in than to be a command-line switch.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.