Matlab vs Python (was RE: Discussion: Introducing new operators for matrix computation)

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Mon Jul 17 19:19:16 EDT 2000

Kevin Jacobs wrote:

>Silly idea 1:
>
>  Until add-on Python grammar modules are available, what about a
>  PyAlgebra evaluator module.  For a precedent, see regular expressions.
>   The difference is that linear-algebra syntax can be made too
>  Python-like for some tastes.
>
>  e.g.:
>
>  import PyAlgebra
>
>  PyAlgebra.run(r'A = (A .* B)\C')
>  e = PyAlgebra(r"D = A'*B")
>  e.run() # or e()

I proposed something very similar to Huaiyu the other day:

  PyAlgebra.evaluate(r'(A .* B)\C', A=A, B=B, C=C)

I know Thomas Wouters did, too. I haven't seen a post reflecting these
suggestions.

In fact, looking at this thread in one of those tree-view newsreaders, it
becomes obvious that branches die when a proposal is made, but arguments
are met with vehement counter arguments. Which leads me to believe that:

>Silly idea 3:
>
>  Lets continue arguing until everyone, both pro and con, gets
>  irritated,
>starts calling each other Nazis and gives up.

...has already won.

- Gordon