Perl is worse!

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Mon Jul 31 04:19:45 EDT 2000

Paul Foley <see at below> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 00:46:17 GMT, Steve Lamb wrote:
[snip]
>> reason, however, b, which was pointing to 1 can be made to point to something
>> else which we'll call the integer formerly known as 1 where as None things
>> cannot be repointed from.  None is like that really nasy uncle everone has who

> Nonsense.

Ah, indeed; I didn't read this part of Steve's post when I replied
just now. This does seem to point out a misconception on Steve's part and
in my previous post I claimed he seemed to get it. :)

There is two ways to describe it.

"None cannot be repointed from"

correct: without an explicit assignment (or equivalent such as in a for
loop), there is no way to make a name that points to None suddenly point
to something else. But in that sense, there's no way to make that name
point to something else *at all*; it doesn't matter what the name contained.

nonsense: a name pointing to None can be made to repoint to something else
just as easily as any name. Just use assignment.

Regards,

Martijn