Discussion: new operators for numerical computation

Bjorn Pettersen bjorn at roguewave.com
Sat Jul 22 00:54:13 EDT 2000

Aahz Maruch wrote:

> In article <slrn8nhndr.qn.hzhu at rocket.knowledgetrack.com>,
> Huaiyu Zhu <NO_SPAM_hzhu at knowledgetrack_dot_com> wrote:
> >
> >number .+ matrix
> >
> >illigal, which can be done by leaving  __rdotadd__ undefined.
>
> No, no, no.  No runtime errors based on syntactical ambiguity.  Remember
> that the above example is not the ambiguous one, it's "number.+matrix"
> with no spaces.  It just doesn't work, and I guarantee you'll get a
> virulent reaction from long-term Pythonistas if you push this at all.

I'm sure someone will implement __rdotadd__ for their class sooner or
later and then the following lines would have different semantics:

  5.+A
  5 .+ A

I'm sure we're all going to love answering _those_ whitespace posts...

at-least-Dylan-has-a-reason-for-being-whitespace-sensitive-in-this-area'ly
y'rs
-- bjorn