Perl is worse!

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Sat Jul 29 20:37:50 EDT 2000

"Steve Lamb" <grey at despair.rpglink.com> wrote in message
news:slrn8o6lp3.f91.grey at teleute.rpglink.com...
> On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 14:16:47 GMT, Steffen Ries <steffen.ries at sympatico.ca>
> wrote:
> >In this case I would use the dictionary variant of the format string:
> >"%(a)0d %(b)c:U %(c)s %(d)s %(e)s %(f)s %(g)s %(h)s %(i)s %(j)s %(k)s"\
> >   % vars()
>       ^^^^^^
>
>     Still doesn't change the fact the variables are at the end.

The variable *names* are in the format-string (named placeholders).

What variable goes where, which was your original issue, is thus
completely solved.  That the whole format-string gets applied to
vars() just tells us we're in that particular case (frequent in
some people's styles, less so in others).

Alex