Python + Apache 1.3.x (CGI) not working (no mod_python)

genablu at my-deja.com genablu at my-deja.com
Fri Jul 14 04:40:13 EDT 2000

Please help!

I am running the following Python program:

#!/usr/bin/python

print 'Content-type: text/plain'
print ' '
print '<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">'
print '<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>cgi-bin test</TITLE></HEAD>'
print '<BODY>Hello, World!</BODY></HTML>'

in my /home/httpd/cgi-bin directory.  Permissions are set to 755, chown
root.nobody.

When I try requesting http://myserver.domain.com/cgi-bin/hello.py I get
the following error:

INTERNAL SERVER ERROR
unable to complete your request.

malformed header from script.  Bad header=:/home/httpd/cgi-bin/hello.py

The equivalent PERL program works just fine.

Here are the modules built into my Apache server:

httpd -l
Compiled in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_so.c

What am I missing?  Why doesn't this work but the PERL program does?

I would like to run this script by spawning the Python interpreter
rather then compiling it as a module.  Is this possible?  I'm aware this
might be an Apache question; can you point me to a good place to learn
how to solve this in Apache?

I've been fighting this for a loooong time!  Can someone please help?

Thanks!

Gena Bleu

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.