Python questions from C/Perl/Java programmer

Paul Magwene paul.magwene at yale.edu
Mon Jul 24 20:32:09 EDT 2000

"ye, wei" wrote:

[stuff about braces, variable declaration snipped]

You'll find, I believe, that people on this newsgroup are not likely to
give these issues much attention, because they have been rehashed
innumerous times on this newsgroup.

Having read this newsgroup for about 2 years, the general patterns seems
to be that newcomers initially complain loudly, propose the use of
braces, variable declarations, etc. (Gee, how come NOBODY thought of
that before!).  Following this initial period of whininess, they begin
to actually program in Python for a little while, find that they didn't
really need (or want) those crutches, and preceed to become happy Python
converts [I imagine those who don't quietly sulk back to Java and/or
Perl].

Please go back and read the hundreds of previous messages on the
topic(s). If after doing so and programming in Python for a month or
two, you still think you have some valid complaints (and better yet
working patches), by all means reraise the topic.

--Paul Magwene