Discussion: new operators for numerical computation

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Sun Jul 23 02:33:03 EDT 2000

Neel Krishnaswami wrote:

> We do need to muck with the language to fix this, but the answer is
> NOT to add syntax, but to remove the type/class dichotomy. Then it
> will be possible to do something to fix the __mul__/__rmul__ thing so
> it's actually usable.
>
> My proposal would be to replace it with encapsulated multimethods,
> because that's the best way of solving the binary method problem in an
> OO language.

Neel, I think you have projected your own wishes onto that of the matrix
people! They specifically *asked for new syntax*. They are perfectly
happy with Python's semantics. They just think it doesn't look
matrix-y enough. (which it doesn't)

New from Computer Associates: "Software that can 'think', sold by
marketers who choose not to."