Perl is worse! (was: Python is Wierd!)

Grant Edwards nobody at nowhere.nohow
Sun Jul 30 22:08:14 EDT 2000

In article <slrn8o9k4e.i9b.grey at teleute.rpglink.com>, Steve Lamb wrote:
>On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 16:22:07 GMT, Grant Edwards <nobody at nowhere.nohow> wrote:

>>But in many, many programs (at least in the embedded and process control
>>areas where I do most of my work) program objects _do_ correspond to real
>>world objects.
>
>    Granted, and in those cases it is appropriate to remember the limitations
>of the physical world.  However in programming languages, peach.debone is
>valid, as is waffle-iron.dial.  :)

Only if "debone" is a valid operation for the object "peach" and if dial is
a valid operation for the object "waffle-iron".  You can't state a-priori
that this is the case.

In real-life only certain operations are valid for a particular object.  The
same is true in Python. I'm suggesting that this makes Python an easy
language for a new programmer to learn.

>>I don't understand the analogy.  Pens are not responsible for
>>parsing English sentances and proofreading them.  They're
>>responsible for leaving a visible trail when they're dragged
>>across a paper surface.
>
>    Exactly.

Huh?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  NOW, I'm supposed
                                  at               to SCRAMBLE two, and HOLD