Discussion: new operators for numerical computation

Huaiyu Zhu hzhu at localhost.localdomain
Sat Jul 22 14:48:54 EDT 2000

On Sat, 22 Jul 2000 11:30:53 -0500, Travis Oliphant <olipt at mayo.edu> wrote:

>We could use (!) for solve and (**) for power (actually I'm not as
>convinced that we NEED a solve.  But...) .  This might assuage some
>purists in python-dev.

Definitely.

> I think it's useful to keep in mind tht we are
>not just attracting Matlab users, but IDL, PyWave, J, and other's as well.

While Matlab syntax (* for matrix and .* for element) has been mentioned
many times here, no one seems to have bothered to describe the others except
for IDL (?) that's # for matrix and * for element.  Not everyone have used
all the different languages or packages.  Brief summaries by their users
here would provide very helpful background information.

Huaiyu