Sound module question

Peter Schneider-Kamp peter at schneider-kamp.de
Wed Jul 12 04:51:28 EDT 2000

Aaron Berg wrote:

> I started programming python a few months ago and I am still learning.
> Does anyone know of a sound module for simple reading and writing of
> sound in linux? I know there is a win32 sound module and there is one
> for SGI but is there one for linux? oss or alsa... I don't know much
> about this issue so it is possible i am just looking in the wrong place.

There is a linuxaudiodev module, but that's probably not what you
are looking for (too low level?). I don't know what that does.

A Python soundserver for linux is available from http://pysol.tsx.org
For an application that uses it you are also right on that page (hint).
It can play WAV, MP3 and MOD files and uses the SDL library. You
also need another library called smpeg (or so, look at the README
that comes with the soundserver). SDL is a sound library which runs
on win32, linux and (as I understand) some other systems. So you
should be pretty portable with that one. I haven't tried, but I
think extending that module to play other sound etc. should be easy.

hope-that-helps,
Peter
--
Peter Schneider-Kamp          ++47-7388-7331
Herman Krags veg 51-11        mailto:peter at schneider-kamp.de
N-7050 Trondheim              http://schneider-kamp.de