Accessing NIC configuration via Python

Micheal Kelly michealk at newlix.com
Mon Jul 31 10:14:28 EDT 2000

Hoping someone can help:

Earlier I posted a message asking how to access low-level Linux network
information in Python - Shae Erisson was kind enough to point out gnetstat
(http://www.linuxcare.com.au/projects/gnetstat) to me...

Unfortunately, this wasn't quite what I was after.  What I'd really like
to get is low-level NIC configuration information, such as the device
names of all configured ethernet cards (eth0, eth1... ethx), their IP
addresses, netmasks, etc.

I could do this by parsing the output of ifconfig, but for various reasons
don't want to do that.  Is there any sort of low-level interface that I
can access via Python to get this information?  I've looked through /proc
to see if there was something I could read, but nothing that seems to
contain the information I'm after.

Help!  :)

- Mike K.