linear algebra in pure Python?

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Wed Jul 26 05:23:27 EDT 2000

Douglas du Boulay <ddb at crystal.uwa.edu.au> writes:

> I know that there is the Numeric python extension and/or the
> Matrix extension MatPy, but is there not anywhere a pure Python
> linear algebra package exploiting lists of lists for  matrices and the
> like?

I can send you an array class written in Python and using lists of
lists as data representation. However, there are none of the standard
linear algebra operations (inversion, eigenvalues, ...), and for a
good reason: performance. Even for matrix multiplies this class
is a few orders of magnitudes slower than NumPy!

In case anyone wonders why I wrote it: it was used as a case study in
the early days of NumPy development, before the C implementation was
written.
Konrad Hinsen                            | E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr