Changing the class of an instance

Rainer Deyke root at rainerdeyke.com
Sat Jul 15 17:17:22 EDT 2000

"Alex" <cut_me_out at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:etdbszzw6wv.fsf at w20-575-115.mit.edu...

> >    Well it's exactly what I was doing once because I was a lot more
> > clever than the guys who said I shouldn't. And then I decided quite
> > suddenly that they were right. (At the end of a _long_ stretch trying
> > to figure out why the heck something wasn't working - of course the
> > answer is the object in question was very different from the object it
> > appeared it should be...)
>
> It can have really confusing consequences, but it's still too useful for
> me to abandon.  If you have a class which takes a long time to
> instantiate (e.g., you have to load a lot of statistical data into
> memory,) then having a script like
<snip>

More importantly (for me), you can run a simulation program where one
simulated entity changes into another type of simulated entity.  The
alternative (using proxies) is less efficient and elegant (IMO).

--
Rainer Deyke (root at rainerdeyke.com)
Shareware action/role-playing games      -      http://rainerdeyke.com